Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Taco Seasoning

I know I said I would have a post up on Friday, but I'm finding it hard to come up with writing something on Fridays, so I may just have to say "I'll post something once a week". We'll see.

Anywho, onto the recipe. I can't remember if it was when I got my first apartment (about 5 years ago) or if it was when Dylan and I got our first apartment (just over 2 years ago), but we got one of those huge jugs of taco seasoning. You know, the kind you can get from Sam's Club and the like. At the end of last year, we finally used it all up. (We make a lot of tacos and stuff with taco seasoning in it...)

I've been doing some research and trying to eat healthier, so instead of buying pre-made seasoning to replace ours, I decided to make my own. That way I could control the sodium content (which is great considering my family's heart history) and I would know exactly what went into it. And, once I scoured online for taco seasoning recipes, I realized that I always have these ingredients on hand! Fantastic!

The taco recipe I'm sharing with you guys today is adapted from Forkful of Comfort's recipe. I didn't have any ground coriander on hand, and I didn't think I needed corn starch, as I usually don't make saucy taco meat.

 Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper



Directions
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Makes enough seasoning for 1 pound of ground beef.



My Take

I think this tastes way better than the kind we originally had. On the plus side, I can control how spicy it is and the saltiness as well. And, as I said before, I pretty much always have these ingredients on hand, so if we do run out of taco seasoning, it's not too hard to whip up a batch. One thing I did notice, though, was that even though it says it makes enough for a pound of beef (or turkey), I didn't actually have to use that much. So for me, it goes a lot further than what it says. Yay!

All ready to use

No comments:

Post a Comment