- 1 can of pre-made pizza dough
- Pizza toppings
- Black Olives
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Ricotta cheese
- Pizza seasoning
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Divide the dough into 2. Make them as round as possible.
- Put the pizza toppings, mozzarella and ricotta cheese on one half of the circles, keeping a 1/4" edge on the outside.
- Sprinkle the pizza seasoning over toppings/cheese
- Fold the empty side over on top of the filled side. Pinch or use a fork to put them together. Make sure the seam is tightly sealed.
- Brush the egg on top of the now sealed calzone. Lightly sprinkle some more pizza seasoning on top of the calzone.
- Put into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Don't be surprised if they grow a bit.
- Take out and serve with the sauce of your preference. We had marinara. :)
I was very amazed at how easy these were to make. Whenever I go to Old Chicago, I always order their calzones, but now I can make them in the comfort of my own home without high prices!
You can put the sauce inside the calzone, but I didn't want it too messy as well as (I believe) traditional calzones don't have the sauce in them. Also, make sure you're careful not to fill them up too much, otherwise the dough might split and yeah....that wouldn't be too good.
So, there ya (finally) have it. My calzone recipe. Feel free to leave comments about what works for you and any questions you have. I promise I won't take a week to reply! :)