Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Cheese Souffle


Whenever I have anything that has the word "souffle" in it, I judge it against his recipe. This tastes so cheesey and is so light and fluffy, it's hard not to like. Back when I had braces, every time I got them tightened, I asked my mom to make this as I couldn't chew anything else.


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
  • 4 eggs, separated
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 300° F.
  • In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Blend in flour and salt. Add milk all at once; cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat. Add cheese; stir until cheese melts.
  • Beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon-colored. Slowly add to cheese mixture, stirring constantly; cool slightly.
  • Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Gradually pour yolk mixture into egg whites; fold together well.
  • Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart souffle or casserole dish. Bake for 1 1/4 hour, or until knife inserted off center comes out clean.

My Take
As I slowly try to cut out processed foods, I look at this recipe and wonder how I can get that super cheesey flavor without using Velveeta and using just natural cheeses. If anyone has any suggestions as to what cheeses I should start with, that would be awesome. I'll update ya'll and let you know if I find anything that works great.

No comments:

Post a Comment