Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Easy Mushroom Pizza Pie



This past week I've started doing something I've heard about but never done. I've started to "celebrate" Meatless Mondays. Every Monday I'll be a vegetarian for one day. I'm hoping it will help me make better choices of what I eat, plus it makes me eat my fruits and veggies rather than starches and meat.

So yesterday I made a recipe which I have done before but haven't shared on here. It's called Easy Mushroom Pizza Pie. It's very easy to put together, although I may tweak a few things the next time I make it. Here we go!




Ingredients

  • 1 (4 oz) can mushroom pieces and stems, drained
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup Original Bisquick mix
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (4 to 6 oz)

Directions

  • Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 10-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle mushrooms, and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese in pie plate.
  •  In medium bowl, stir milk, eggs, and Biquick mix with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour over vegetable mixture in pie plate.

  • Bake 20 minutes. Spread pizza sauce over top. Top with remaining ingredients. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until cheese is light brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
My Take

What I love most about how this turns out is the egginess of it. Reminds me of a souffle, but a lot quicker and easier. The original recipe called for onions both on the bottom and top, but since I don't like onions, I just took them out. If you would like to add them back in, then for the bottom, add 2/3 cup chopped and for the top put 1/3 cup cup. You can also add 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper for the top as well.

I think next time I make this, I'm going to use fresh mushrooms and sauté them before putting them into the pie plate. I think that will give it more flavor than just using the canned mushrooms.

So, have you ever done a Meatless Monday, or anything like that? How did it work out for you. Was there any recipes you turned to?

2 comments:

  1. Yumm.. definitely going to try this recipe. I love mushrooms (and onions!). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemme know how it goes and how you liked it. Love hearing how my recipes goes with other people. :)

      Delete