Sunday, March 20, 2011

Calzones

I found a couple of recipes for homemade calzones in my two Betty Crocker Cookbooks that I have. One of them is from the 80's, while the other one is a brand-new one. I kinda mixed the two together and this is what I came up with.

Ingredients
  • 1 can of pre-made pizza dough
  • Pizza toppings
    • Pepperoni
    • Sausage
    • Mushrooms
    • Black Olives
    • Onions
    • Etc.
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Ricotta cheese
  • Pizza seasoning
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
Before they went into the oven
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°F
  • Divide the dough into 2. Make them as round as possible.
  • Put the pizza toppings, mozzarella and ricotta cheese on one half of the circles, keeping a 1/4" edge on the outside.
  • Sprinkle the pizza seasoning over toppings/cheese
  • Fold the empty side over on top of the filled side. Pinch or use a fork to put them together. Make sure the seam is tightly sealed.
  • Brush the egg on top of the now sealed calzone. Lightly sprinkle some more pizza seasoning on top of the calzone.
  • Put into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Don't be surprised if they grow a bit.
  • Take out and serve with the sauce of your preference. We had marinara. :)
All done!
My Take
I was very amazed at how easy these were to make. Whenever I go to Old Chicago, I always order their calzones, but now I can make them in the comfort of my own home without high prices!

You can put the sauce inside the calzone, but I didn't want it too messy as well as (I believe) traditional calzones don't have the sauce in them. Also, make sure you're careful not to fill them up too much, otherwise the dough might split and yeah....that wouldn't be too good.

So, there ya (finally) have it. My calzone recipe. Feel free to leave comments about what works for you and any questions you have. I promise I won't take a week to reply! :)

4 comments:

  1. I am loving the background picture! makes me hungry. So I got really excited when I saw this calzone recipe specifically bcuz you don't put sauce inside! I am not a huge marinara fan and thus this is a perfect recipe for me!!!! I am trying to talk my friend into trying them this weekend or next....we shall see if we end up making them! and of course gotta have bread sticks with an italian dish! -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't like marinara, you could always use spaghetti sauce, or even pizza sauce to dip it in. Or, as Tim would probably dip it in, Ranch dressing.

    You gotta let me know how they turn out. Sometimes, I'm not sure if my recipes are clear enough. They make sense to me, but dunno how they come across to other people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. marinara = pizza sauce = spaghetti sauce = bleck so i might take Tim's idea and do ranch! -K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it because of the tomato sauce? 'Cause I can totally tell the difference between pizza/spaghetti sauce and marinara. Sometimes, I just buy tomato sauce and add my own pizza seasoning. *shrugs* Oh well, to each their own. :)

    ReplyDelete