Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tie-Dye Fruity Cupcakes



Just in time for the Easter season, here's a fun little cupcake which has a nice spring time twist. I originally found these on Pintrest from the Jell-O website. I originally posted about these last year on my Domestication blog, but since I don't have many desserts on here, and it's now officially springtime, I thought I would re-post them over here. :)


Ingredients
  • 1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix
  • 1/4 cup dry lemon Jell-O (about half a package)
  • 1/4 cup dry lime Jell-O
  • 1/4 cup dry strawberry Jell-O
  • 1 container (16 oz) ready to spread vanilla frosting
Directions
  • Prepare cake batter as directed on package; divide evenly into 3 bowls.
  • Stir a different flavor of the Jell-O mix into each bowl.
  • Alternatively spoon batters into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, adding about 2 tablespoon of each batter to each cup. Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool completely.
  • Frost cupcakes with frosting.

 My Take

These were wonderful. I think when I originally made them, I had a bit too much strawberry, so that was the main flavor that came through. This gave me great ideas as how to flavor cupcakes with other Jell-O flavors. I want to try a triple berry one sometime, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

A suggestion they had on the original post was to use Cool Whip as the frosting and sprinkle a little bit of the dry Jell-O mix on top. I didn't do that. I used whipped vanilla frosting and then colored a little bit of unsweetened dried coconut green and added that on top. I thought they turned out pretty well, so I'm looking forward to making them again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment